One of the household chores that seem to be difficult to do is probably cleaning tile grout. It requires patience and a great deal of effort. Bathroom and kitchen tile grout are the most difficult to clean as it acquires a lot of different dirt including grime, mold, grease and mildew. Periodic cleaning shall be carried out in order to avoid build up of dirt for easy cleaning. Since grout is very important to the tile because it keeps the tiles together, keeping it clean at all time is a must.
Well, it is about time to make tile grout cleaning an enjoyable chore! Learn the following secrets shared by experts on how to clean tile grout the easiest way. But before proceeding to actual cleaning, the following shall be taken into consideration first:
Make sure to prepare all the cleaning materials that you will need before you start to do the chore. This shall include water, soap, stiff bristle brush, commercial cleaning products, mask, and gloves.
Determine how old the grout is
This is important because the chemical to be used will depend on the age of the grout. If the grout is quite old already, strong chemicals are not recommended because it has a possibility to damage the grout or wreck it out from the wall.
Find out what kind of dirt you want to remove
This will help you to decide what cleaning material to use. If it is ordinary dirt, it can be removed by detergent soap and water. But if it is mold, grease and mildew, a mild chemical cleaner is necessary.
Location of the grout to be cleaned
Again, the cleaners to be used and the manner of cleaning will vary depending on the location of the grout. Floor grout is easier to clean than wall grout.
Now that you have considered the above conditions, you can start cleaning the tile grout.
- Wash and clean the grout with water to take off surface dirt.
- Never use bleach on colored grout as this would cause color to fade.
- Stiff brush is ideal for brushing as it is not too hard or too soft for the grout.
- Make sure the area being cleaned is properly ventilated to stay away from suffocation in case harsh chemicals will be used.
- Wearing of protective mask as well as gloves is highly recommended especially when chemicals are to be used.
- Do not mix chemicals as it may create harmful fumes.
- Knowing how to clean tile grout will make it a household chore you will love doing.