You will find ants everywhere inside and outside your house and in all types of commercial buildings. They cause such a nuisance by spoiling your food and plants (they use plant nutrition as their food)that peopel are always eager to find ways to get rid of them. There are hundreds of varieties of ants and not all of them live inside the house. Most common type of ants are leaf cutter ants, weaver ants, drier ants, fire ants, etc. They live in colonies and display lot of unity a group.
Though you should know of ways to kill ants, but you should know of ways to prevent them from coming inside your house in the first place:
- Keep your house neat and clean : You should wipe your store and counters immediately after your meal. Avoid keeping dishes in your sink overnight.
- Put your cereals, pastas, crackers and sugar in a sealed container or zip log baggie.
- You should take necessary steps to seal doors and windows, as ants usually come inside through this route.
- Place the food dish of your pet in a pan of water. Ants won’t be able to go through the water to enter the food dish.
Some useful tips on how to kill ants:
- Black peeper : This is an excellent art repellent as they dislike it. You should sprinkle it near the ant rests or around your house.
- Pipe tobacco : You should soak some tobacco overnight and in morning, pour its water over the ant hills wherever you see them.
- Boiling water : You should locate anthills and destroy it using boiling water mixed with just one teaspoonful of salt. Boiling water may lead to the collapse of the tunnels and salt water makes them lose sense of direction.
- Sugar water with boric acid : This is a perfect mixture to lure the ants. If it is made sufficiently strong, it can kill ants on contact. It won’t work if you make it too weak. For perfect solution, mix one cup water, two cup sugar and three tablespoons of boric acid. Though this mixture is not that toxic, but still you should keep it away from kids and pets.
- Cinnamon: This is the best ant repellant that can work in a similar way as pepper. You can get it in bulk at cheap rates and can sprinkle it at places where you don’t want ants. Cinnamon won’t kill ants, but they won’t bother you anymore.
- Corn meal and grits : You should sprinkle this mixture on ant hills as ants cannot ingest it and will ultimately die.
- Vinegar : You can spray some vinegar around your doors and windows. The won’t go inside your house once due to the pungent odor of vinegar. You can spray vinegar on their nests as well.
- Club soda: Pour some club soda on each of the ant hill that you see inside or around your house. It will immediately suffocate the entire colony, including their queen. Within a period of few hours, you will see the results and won’t find even a single ant!
Enjoy your house without ant!