Learn how low cholesterol diet plus exercise can help you become healthier.
High cholesterol is bad for our hearts and our health. In fact it can kill us. So it’s important that we use diet, exercise to lower cholesterol and stay healthy.
The food you eat affects the way the blood flows. A diet that is high in fat and cholesterol will build plaque in the arteries over time. When the plaque builds up in the arteries the blood travels slower and blockages occur. If the blockage occurs in the brain a stroke occurs. If the blockage occurs in an artery that carries the blood to the heart you will have a heart attack.
Here are some tips for healthy eating:
- Eat less fat. Eliminate trans fats from hydrogenated vegetable fats. Reduce your saturated fat levels. Trans fats are being band because the body cannot handle these hydrogenated oils and they really are killing people.
- Use non stick vegetable oil sprays
- Buy lean cuts of meat and eat fish, and skinless chicken. Trim excess fat from the meat and keep your portion size to 6 oz per day.
- Bake your foods rather than fry them. Baking or broiling keeps the amount of fat down.
- Choose low fat snacks such as carrots, apples, or fruit of any kind.
- Choose low fat dairy products like skim milk, low fat cheese, and yogurt.
- Have no more than 4 eggs a week. Use substitutes in baking.
- Drink low calorie drinks.
Talk to your family doctor to determine what your ideal weight is. Every person is different and if you are overweight you will put stress on your heart. Loosing weight keeps your heart healthy. Losing just 10% of your weight reduces your risk of heart disease and diabetes.
Next to food exercise is the next key to making your heart stronger. It helps to pump more blood with every beat of the heart. The blood brings oxygen to the blood. Exercise can also lower blood pressure reducing your risk of heart disease. When this cholesterol clogs the arteries it can cause a heart attack.
Healthy diet and exercise when combined can speed up weight loss too and excess weight is responsible for heart disease and diabetes. The best exercise is aerobic because it burns calories and it makes the hear work harder to pump blood. Walking, jogging, and running are all aerobic exercises.
You should never undertake strenuous aerobic exercise if you are out of shape. You need to work up to strenuous exercise or you could find yourself in serious trouble. Start by walking slowly and work your way up. In fact you need to talk to your doctor before undertaking any exercise program to make sure it’s okay.
You should exercise up to 30 minutes three to six times a week. Always check with your doctor before adding or making any changes to your exercise regime. This also goes for changes in your diet.
So the equation is diet plus exercises equals healthy cholesterol levels which means a healthy heart.