Find The Best Low Cholesterol Diet
If your diet gave you high cholesterol, it can lower too…Well…that is true. Diet plays an important role in maintaining health and preventing several disorders. Succumbing to your temptations and eating unhealthy fatty and high calorie food increases your cholesterol levels. High cholesterol levels dramatically increases your risk of heart diseases such as stroke and heart attack. But the impact of high cholesterol level can be reduced by certain lifestyle changes which involve balanced diet for cholesterol, losing weight, quitting tobacco, regular exercise routine, managing stress and reducing the intake of alcohol. + Low cholesterol diet includes making healthy food choices and incorporating healthy food preparation techniques which help in lowering the cholesterol levels in the body. There are many ways to get started with a low cholesterol diet. Healthy Food Choices:The first step involves changing your grocery store habits. While shopping, start paying attention to labels and focus on foods having low-fat and low-cholesterol content. Choose foods containing unsaturated fat such as nuts, seeds, sunflower oil, olive oil and oily fish. Avoid saturated fat such as meat pies, cheese, cream, cakes, biscuits and sausages. Trans fat found in dairy and animal products can also increase cholesterol levels, hence limit their intake. Another step in cholesterol diet plan is to choose foods that lower cholesterol. Different foods lower cholesterol in various ways. For example some food provides soluble fibre that binds with cholesterol and eliminates them from the body and some foods contain plant stanols and sterols, which blocks the absorption of cholesterol in the body. Whereas, some contain polyunsaturated fat that helps in lowering LDL. Hence it becomes important to choose right kind of food. Some of the healthy foods included in low cholesterol diet are :
- Oats: Oats provide soluble fibre to the body and is low in fat. An oat meal mixed with handful of fruits or nuts is a wholesome breakfast to start your day.
- Whole Grains: Whole grains like oat bran, barley are rich in fibre content that help in reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Beans: Beans are important food for those who want to lose weight and stay fit. Beans are versatile food that provide soluble fiber and gives you a feeling of satiety or fullness.
- Nuts: Almonds, peanuts and walnuts are good for heart as they lower LDL and provide healthy nutrients to protect the heart. But nuts should be consumed in a moderate amount.
- Fruits: Fruits like grapes, apples, citrus fruits and strawberries rich amounts of pectin that helps in lowering LDL.
Healthy Cooking Techniques: Apart from picking the right food, it is important to incorporate healthy cooking techniques that do not add unwanted calories. Broiling and steaming are the two healthy ways of preparing your food. Avoid frying as it adds unhealthy fats. Steaming not just reduces the fat levels but also keeps the vital nutrients intact which are generally lost while frying. Choose fresh ingredients instead of processed or frozen. Purchase leaner meats like fish, skinless chicken and well-trimmed beef.