Okra is one of the most nutritious vegetable and is widely used all around the world. The Okra plant produces which are hand picked and eaten as vegetables. There are many Okra health benefits such as:
1. The pods that are taken as vegetables are very rich in the mucilage substance which plays an important role in digestion. Mucilage smooths the food hence aiding in peristalsis as well as reducing constipation. In addition to aiding in the digestion process Okra also reduces ulcers and irritable bowels.
2. The vegetable has numerous numerals including magnesium, calcium and manganese. These minerals are very crucial too the body since they play a major role in building strong bones and prevention of Osteoporosis. Also contains vitamin K which is a very important aspect for blood clotting.
3. The Okra seeds contain high amounts of proteins and oils which is a very rare occurrence in vegetable. These properties make the plant to have abundant amino acids that are very useful to the body. An example of such an amino acid is the tryptophan amino acid.
4. Similar to most vegetables, Okra contains vitamin C which is well known for its assistance in increasing the body’s immunity and protecting the body from cold and cough episodes. Also contains vitamin A which is required by the body in the maintenance of healthy mucus membranes in the gut and the skin.
5. Okra is associated with antioxidant properties that are known to be important in the boosting and maintenance of proper vision. Antioxidants are also useful in the prevention of diseases such as cancer, heart disease and premature aging. Some of the antioxidants found in Okra include catechin and rutin.
6. Okra has a health benefit of lowering cholesterol levels in the body sine it does not contain any cholesterol or saturated fats. This property makes it ideal as a weight loss vegetable.