One of the jobs with high demand right now is the surgical tech jobs. Surgeries occur daily in all hospitals across every region in all parts of the globe. Due to the immense increase in accidents as well as illnesses that happened recurrently to many people, well trained-surgical techs are always needed to assist in the surgical procedures. Anyone who may be interested in securing a career in the area of health care, mainly in surgical technology, must have an idea on what actually happens in an operating room.
To give you an overview in doing a surgical procedure, different medical professionals are needed to ensure that the patient will be given utmost care and attention. The surgical team is normally composed of the surgeon, anesthesiologist, nurse and surgical tech; each an expert in their own field.
The surgical tech jobs are important in a surgical team because of the following roles that they perform:
- Prior to the surgical procedure, the surgical tech will have to set-up the operating suite. He shall ensure that the environment and the instruments to be used are sterile and properly arranged in a tray. He must likewise check that all instruments are working properly.
- They also facilitate in positioning the patient by placing him on top of the surgical table. Vitals signs will be checked. The part of the body subject to surgery will be cleaned using betadine solution after which, a drape will be placed on the incision area to separate it from the other body parts.
- During the surgery, the surgical tech must be focused, attentive and is able to foresee what instrument may be needed next by the surgeon.
- After the surgery, he will be the one to put dressing on the wound to avoid infections and after that a team of nurses will take over the patient.
- The work of the surgical tech does not end there because he needs to sterile again the whole suite and the instruments used in preparation for the next possible surgery.
Surgical tech jobs are imperative for reason that surgical techs also play a crucial role during a surgical procedure because they contribute in saving the life of a patient. They tend to build up bedside manors aimed at helping the surgeon. While on the other hand, their nearness to the patients often gives important information helpful to the surgeon. Thus, the surgical tech is now becoming an important part of the team that drives and motivates the surgeon.