Whether you have a cholesterol problem or are trying to be preventive it’s good to know about food that help lower cholesterol. Here are just a few that will do the job.
- High fiber breakfast – oatmeal, fruit, and whole grain bagels or muffins are all good. Choose a cereal that has 5 grams or more of fiber in it which is why oatmeal is such an excellent choice. Read the labels.
- Whole grains – switch to whole grain breads, bagels, crackers, pancakes, pasta, and anything else that’s available as whole grain.
- Legumes – you can never get enough beans in your life and you should eat them a minimum of three times a week. Remember there are many different types of beans so it’s easy to mix it up. Try cold bean salad, bean soup, chili, black bean dip, soy beans, baked beans, pork and beans, and the list goes on. Just one thing to remember you can never eat too many beans.
- Fruits and vegetables – you need five servings every day. One at breakfast such as grapefruit or orange, at lunch you should have one veggie like a tomato slice, celery, or carrot stick and a fruit like a piece of watermelon or apple, and at supper have a salad, one cooked veggie and that’s your five. Of course you can have them any way you want.
- Choose fruit over juice – with whole fruit you get that all important fiber that’s missing in juice.
- Love your garlic – cooked or raw it’s very good for you because it has a compound that helps your liver reduce your levels of cholesterol.
- Nuts – such as almonds and walnuts are high in fiber.
- Olive oil – replace butter and all other oils with olive oil which is very healthy.
- Vitamin C foods – green peppers, red peppers, strawberries, oranges, cantaloupe, papaya, and broccoli are all high in vitamin C.
- Vitamin E foods – walnuts, almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds, wheat germ, and soybean are all high in vitamin E.
- Spirits – studies have shown that a small amount of beer or whine can help reduce cholesterol. Don’t take this as a reason to drink.
- Soy – is a heart healthy food so drink 2 cups of soy milk or eat 4 ounces of tofu to get the effect.
- Vegetable Oils – olive oil, peanut oil, soy oil, and canola oil can all be good for you.
Each of these foods we’ve talked about are all a food that help lower cholesterol levels. It’s important to reduce bad cholesterol while increasing good cholesterol and combining good foods and exercise can help you accomplish your goal.
And eating right will also help you shed those few extra pounds that almost all of us would like to see melt away. Now is your chance to improve your health and your longevity. So what are you waiting for ? Food that help lower cholesterol are like a recipe to health.