Since they made their way into popular imagination in the nineteenth century, bowie knives have undergone considerable re-inventions. However, the fascination and mystique they hold have never waned. Whether you are a martial arts expert or you would love to have one as a memento, here are our 10 best bowie knife reviews for 2014.
- 1 10. Wolf Fixed Blade Bowie Knife With Antler Sheath
- 2 9. Timber Rattler Western Outlaw Bowie Knife
- 3 8.Zero Tolerance (0450); With 3.25” DLC-Coated S35VN Stainless Steel Blade, All-Black Carbon Fiber and Titanium Handle Scales, KVT Ball-Bearing Opening, Frame Lock and Reversible Pocketclip; 2.45 OZ.
- 4 7. Timber Rattler Western Outlaw Bowie Knife
- 5 6. Wild Turkey Handmade Western Outlaw Bowie Knife (BW)
- 6 5. KA-BAR Full-Size US Marine Corps Fighting Knife, Straight
- 7 4. Zero Tolerance 0609 Pocketknife; 3.4-inch CPM 20CV Drop Point Blade with Two-Toned Finish; 3D Textured Titanium Handle, Anodized Bronze; KVT Ball Bearing Manual Open; Reversible Pocketclip; 3.3 oz, Silver/Titanium
- 8 3. CRKT M21-14SFG EDC Folding Pocket Knife: Special Forces Everyday Carry, Black Serrated Edge Blade, Veff Serrations, Automated Liner Safety, Dual Hilt, G10 Handle, Reversible Pocket Clip
- 9 2. Smith & Wesson CKSUR1 Bullseye Search and Rescue Fixed Blade Knife
- 10 1. Timber Wolf Blazin Bowie Knife
10. Wolf Fixed Blade Bowie Knife With Antler Sheath
The bowie knife comes with a faux antler handle that is just about convincing in design. The stainless blade also features an intriguing wolf scene; etched-in to last. The bowie knife may not be the handiest to add to your adventure collection but it will grace any mantelpiece for those so inclined.
9. Timber Rattler Western Outlaw Bowie Knife
This is a knife worth having whether you are a rank amateur adventurer or a dyed-in-the-wool thrill seeker. Quite lengthy at 11 inches from the top of the handle to blade tip, you will find it equal to the task for any challenge. It would however help if the handle was designed more ergonomically.
8.Zero Tolerance (0450); With 3.25” DLC-Coated S35VN Stainless Steel Blade, All-Black Carbon Fiber and Titanium Handle Scales, KVT Ball-Bearing Opening, Frame Lock and Reversible Pocketclip; 2.45 OZ.
This bowie knife is built to be compact and handy. Its 6 and 2/8 inch blade is as low as you can go when it comes to bowie blades. The faux ivory handle is however very well fitted and features some intricate artwork to delight any collector.
7. Timber Rattler Western Outlaw Bowie Knife
This bowie knife is designed to give an impression of a futuristic design with unconventional curves. However, its minimalist blade design leaves the impression that it is more of a throwing knife than a bowie. In spite of this minor drawback, the construction is hardy and the attractive woven sheath will prove attractive enough to most collectors.
6. Wild Turkey Handmade Western Outlaw Bowie Knife (BW)
Built for the rugged jungle adventurer, this bowie knife is as imposing as it is intuitive to handle. The unique design includes a sawback blade edge on top and a razor-sharp lower edge to help you see your way or cut yourself away from any tricky situation. The cord-wrapped handle is as grippy as they come and did I mention that on top of the handle there is a handy compass?
5. KA-BAR Full-Size US Marine Corps Fighting Knife, Straight
Made of 440C grade steel, this bowie knife gives an imposing appearance with its black rubberized handle designed to give the best grip. At just one foot entire length, the bowie knife can never seem too unwieldy or cumbersome even when you want to travel light or prefer a level of concealment. You are also going to be delighted with the hard sheath for safety as well as a conveniently placed lanyard hole.
4. Zero Tolerance 0609 Pocketknife; 3.4-inch CPM 20CV Drop Point Blade with Two-Toned Finish; 3D Textured Titanium Handle, Anodized Bronze; KVT Ball Bearing Manual Open; Reversible Pocketclip; 3.3 oz, Silver/Titanium
This USMC bowie knife comes with a respectable 9 and 1/4 inch steel blade with USMC etching. However, the most notable feature is the stacked leather handle which suggests a good grip for easy drawing and accuracy in thrusts. The handle is also embellished with a brass guard and pommel to add to the knife’s attractive features.
3. CRKT M21-14SFG EDC Folding Pocket Knife: Special Forces Everyday Carry, Black Serrated Edge Blade, Veff Serrations, Automated Liner Safety, Dual Hilt, G10 Handle, Reversible Pocket Clip
As the name suggests, this bowie knife is big but that should not be construed to mean it is cumbersome or difficult to handle. The knife bears a made-to-fit dark wood handle with appropriate firmly-fixed metal accents blending into the 12 and a quarter inch blade for a massive 18 and three quarter inch bowie knife. The knife bespeaks adventure and you will feel incomplete if you ever leave on a mountain or jungle excursion without packing it along.
2. Smith & Wesson CKSUR1 Bullseye Search and Rescue Fixed Blade Knife
As with all Smith & Wesson products, this bowie knife is designed with durability and ease of handling in mind. The grooved glade with a nonreflective black coating on the underlying 440-grade stainless steel is designed for adaptive concealment and stealth. The rubberized aluminum handle will also delight many combat bowie knife enthusiasts. As with all genuine Smith & Wesson products, this bowie knife is sold with a limited lifetime manufacturer’s warranty.
1. Timber Wolf Blazin Bowie Knife
Timber Wolf is a brand that needs little introduction when it comes to top-grade knives. This Blazing Bowie Knife is a masterclass of design and refinement. The smooth finish, genuine hardwood handle that is designed as ergonomically as any you will get in the category is worthy special mention. The gleaming stainless steel blade measuring slightly over 4 inches is also breathtaking. When you consider the gleaming brass pins and a handy lanyard hole, you will start wondering what more you could ask for in a bowie knife.
If you are an adventurer drawn constantly to explore the wild, you will scarcely need to be introduced to the efficacy of a handy bowie knife. While the name may suggest the knives are instruments of aggression, this needs not to be the case. There is plenty that can go wrong when out in the jungle or mountain climbing. A bowie knife, with its sizable blade and easy-grip handle, will come in handy in your bid to extract yourself from a sticky situation.
To be certain that your bowie knife is just the right fit, look for a sizable handle that is easy to grip. The blade should also be lengthy and sharp enough to cut through just about any material. For convenience and safety purposes, a bowie knife should ideally be sold alongside a sheath and a lanyard hole somewhere on the handle.