A survival knife is arguably the most indispensable asset for any person thinking of going camping, hiking, hunting, fishing, or on any other outdoor adventure. It is what will mean life or death when you are lost out in the wilderness. There is a wide array of survival knives in the market and choosing the best one is quite a daunting task. However, we’ve managed to sort and filter them out and bring you the top 10 best survival knife reviews of 2014.
- 0.1 1. Cold Steel Recon Tanto 13RTK
- 0.2 2. Gerber LMF II Infantry Knife 22-01629
- 0.3 3. Cold Steel San Mai Tanto Series Fixed Blade Knife – Made with Premium San Mai Steel
- 0.4 4. BigCat Handmade Damascus Hunting Knife
- 0.5 5. Cold Steel Recon 1 Series Tactical Folding Knife with Tri-Ad Lock and Pocket Clip – Made with Premium CPM-S35VN Steel
- 0.6 6. CRKT M16-14SF EDC Folding Pocket Knife: Special Forces Everyday Carry, Black Serrated Edge Blade, Tanto, Automated Liner Safety, Dual Hilt, Aluminum Handle, 4-Position Pocket Clip
- 0.7 7. Survival Camping Knife | Fixed Blade Hunting Knife
- 0.8 8. KA-BAR Becker BK2 Campanion Fixed Blade Knife
- 0.9 9. Ontario RTAK-II Serrated Edge Fixed Blade Knife
- 0.10 10. SOG Survival Knife with Sheath – SEAL Pup Elite Fixed Blade Tactical Knife, Hunting Knife, and Military Knife w/ 4.75 Inch Combat Knife Blade (E37T-K)
- 1 Conclusion
1. Cold Steel Recon Tanto 13RTK
This beautifully crafted knife has a 3/16 wide inch blade which is made of Japanese AUS Stainless Steel coated with Tuff-Ex finish for that extra pinch of durability. It has a 7-inch long blade suitable for slashing through bushes and when faced with a one on one combat challenge in the hands of the enemy. For greater handling experience, the Cold steel recon Tanto 13RTK embraces a long Kray-Ex handle that is heavily studded.
- Consistently sharp knife
- Having a hollow ground tanto blade is a plus in my book.
- seems to be constructed with care
- Although it comes with a sharp edge, it might be much more so.
- This item’s handle is too small and square for even average-sized hands.
- Its front end is disproportionately hefty compared to the rest of the knife.
- The finger guard and the contour of the back of the grip make it very difficult to switch grips.
- Inconsistent grinding
- This sheath is worthless.
2. Gerber LMF II Infantry Knife 22-01629
The LMF II can be used used in a number of ways right from cutting through seat belts to survival skills like chopping firewood, creating shelter, and even as a fishing spear when it is tied to a pole. Its features include a 4.84-inch drop point blade with the overall knife length being 10.59 inches, electrically insulated, rugged handle for extra grip, and wear-resistant because of its 420HC Black stainless steel blade.
- Immediately effective
- Snug, portable, and versatile in its carrying options.
- Effective enough for starting fires
- Useful for batoning, and the integrated sharpener is a nifty bonus.
- Simple to lace together into a spear
- Sheath fits like a glove (could possibly be a con)
- It seems hefty for its size to some people, but I had no trouble carrying it about.
- Chopping caused minor damage to the handle near the blade. To be anticipated, as it made such a solid impact with the wooden surface.
- There isn’t a lot of room for the hammer, and it’s an odd shape to hold as you work.
3. Cold Steel San Mai Tanto Series Fixed Blade Knife – Made with Premium San Mai Steel
As the name suggests, the Extreme SCHF3 is built for extreme survival situations. Its blade is made of tough 7Cr17 high carbon stainless steel. It is ideal for combat and survival because of its drop point blade capable of handling tasks such as chopping, skinning, and making carvings. In the handling department, it features a handle made of Micarta which makes it feel sturdy and easy to grip.
- Extremely swift knife blade. Even though their blade lengths are same, this knife feels significantly lighter in my hand than my
- Magnum Warcraft Tanto. Reason being, the Magnum Warcraft Tanto is 5mm thick and has a flat grind, whereas this one is just 4.7mm thick and has a hollow grind.
- There are identical cuts on both the left and right sides. Straight and accurate from the handle to the end of the blade.
- There are no flaws on the outside at all.
- There is a clean, distinct alloy contact line that extends approximately 2 mm in from the edge.
- Aimable right out of the box.
- When brand new, the blade could not be removed from the Secure-X sheath by utilizing the sheath’s built-in thumb serrations.
4. BigCat Handmade Damascus Hunting Knife
The blade of the Viper Hunter is expertly manufactured to last a very long time and keep its sharp edge. A Damascus blade with 15N25, 1080, and 288 layers
The ergonomic walnut wood handle of this handcrafted hunting knife improves grip and comfort. This bushcraft knife strikes a nice mix between endurance and aesthetics thanks to its sturdy metal safety guard.
There’s no mistaking the quality of our Damascus bowie knife. It has a genuine leather sheath, a snap closure, and a belt loop for everyday use. With its lightweight and portable design, you can take it with you wherever.
Did you know that the blades of each of our hunting knives is unique? Our tactical knives are works of art in their own right, each one requiring many hours of painstaking labor by skilled artisans.
- The Damascus blade, the hand-carved wooden handle, and the leather sheath are all works of art in their own right.
- The blade is beautiful, and it has a satisfying weight and balance at the tang.
- Sheath seems rather big for such a little knife.
5. Cold Steel Recon 1 Series Tactical Folding Knife with Tri-Ad Lock and Pocket Clip – Made with Premium CPM-S35VN Steel
This survival knife is razor-sharp and is able to handle any tough job it is thrown at. German 4116 Stainless Steel is used to make the blade and it has a Tuff-Ex non-reflective coating to protect the blade. The deeply textured handle is made of Kray-Ex for that extra grip comfort. Also on the handle are strong steel finger guards with double facing forward to protect your fingers.
- With just the proper amount of resistance, opening is a breeze and can be accomplished with a thumb and a wrist flick.
- The handle’s shape fits my hand well, and it feels sturdy thanks to its prominent yet pleasant texture.
- The blade is narrow and the overall design is unobtrusive.
6. CRKT M16-14SF EDC Folding Pocket Knife: Special Forces Everyday Carry, Black Serrated Edge Blade, Tanto, Automated Liner Safety, Dual Hilt, Aluminum Handle, 4-Position Pocket Clip
The Elishewitz F.T.W.S. looks simple and can easily pass for a normal kitchen knife but don’t let the looks deceive you. It features a 6.3 inches full tang blade that is made of SK5 carbon steel. Its blade tip is modified to full width to increase its durability when used for penetration purposes. The injection-molded Zytel handle is designed with an impressively textured surface and deep finger grooves.
- When closed, it is as sturdy as a fixed blade. Strong hold and complete protection.
- A full guard is large and has pointed edges. Too difficult to use
7. Survival Camping Knife | Fixed Blade Hunting Knife
Infatuated with survival in the wild? You want to spend your weekends adventuring in the great outdoors, and you want a sturdy steel blade hunting or camping knife. Is the birthday of a loved fisherman or hunter coming up, and you want to give him or her something really special? Are you looking for a reliable survival knife to add to your automobile’s emergency supplies? Are you sick of using bushcraft knives with blades that dull in the wind? If so, we know what to do about it!
The single most important thing to think about if venturing out into the wild is being safe. In addition, a reliable tactical knife is an essential part of your survival kit, as it will ensure the safety of your outdoor activities like hunting, fishing, and camping.
This high-end military fixed-blade knife may be carried safely in its K-Sheath and attached to your belt with the sturdy leather strap. A survival knife kit is a must-have for every outdoor enthusiast, whether you’re going trekking, camping, backpacking, hiking, hunting, or fishing.
You may clip it to your belt and use it in the garden or while making something, or you can put it into the trunk of your vehicle and have it handy in case of an accident.
- The use of ferro rods is effective
- The handle is well-padded and solid.
- Produced at little cost
8. KA-BAR Becker BK2 Campanion Fixed Blade Knife
The BK2 is one of the most loved survival knives because it fits well in the hand. Its 5.25-inch drop point blade is ideal for slicing and chopping. The blade, made of 1095 Cro-Van steel, is hard to the core and is as tough as it can be. The handle boasts of a Grivory material which provides a strong grip to the knife.
- The 1095 Cro-van Steel is a high-quality, multipurpose metal. It’s durable, easy to sharpen, and can achieve a razor’s edge.
- Modifying and personalizing this knife is simple. Several accessories are available on the market to let you personalize it.
- The retention of the sheath is really good.
- This is the cover. The belt loop on the sheath is currently made out of flimsy nylon and needs to be upgraded to a more robust and rigid material.
9. Ontario RTAK-II Serrated Edge Fixed Blade Knife
For drilling, cutting, piercing, and other bush craft operations, nothing beats a tiny full tang outdoor fixed blade knife with a sheath.
This full tang knife in a leather sheath with a belt loop is ideal as a vertically carried EDC blade. The real leather used in the making of the casing is of the best quality possible.
The high carbon steel 1066 blade of this bush belt knife is honed to a razor’s edge (56-57 HRC) and has a Scandi grind for ease of sharpening.
Ideal for stashing in a purse, bag, or survival kit, this slim, lightweight, full-tang survival knife features a 3.7-inch drop point blade and measures 7.9 inches overall.
The knife has a 200 mm (8 inch) overall length, a 93 mm (3.6 inch) blade length, and a 2 mm (0.079 inch) blade thickness (0.08 inches), Weight: 75 grams (3.5 oz.), 100 grams (with sheath) (3.5 oz.)
- That’s a very reasonable price
- You won’t mind holding on to the BPS BS1FTS.
- Edges sharp enough for hair shaving
- Weighty, yet too long to comfortably wear around the neck.
- Scabbard, made of leather
- Iron with carbon
- The handles have a rough surface and might need some polishing.
- For the knife to fit in the sheath, it requires a little bit of elongation. It’s possible that wet forming is the most effective method.
- Handle screws loosen somewhat, however this doesn’t affect the hold.
- The loop for attaching a belt is quite narrow; a wide belt won’t fit.
- As time passes, it will corrode.
- Large, extra-large hands may find the handle a little too short.
10. SOG Survival Knife with Sheath – SEAL Pup Elite Fixed Blade Tactical Knife, Hunting Knife, and Military Knife w/ 4.75 Inch Combat Knife Blade (E37T-K)
This knife is beautifully crafted yet it is ultra-strong and reliable. It features a 7-inch blade made of AUS-8 steel and to create its superior wear resistance, the blade has undergone a unique cryogenic heat treatment process. Glass Re-enforced Nylon (GRN) with contours is used to make the handle. What makes this knife the perfect choice is the rigorous challenge by the army that it underwent and managed to emerge victoriously. The tests included a two-week saltwater immersion, chopping, tip breaking stress, hammering.
- Positive ergos, at least
- Solid metal (aus8)
- Kydex sheath, well-designed
- Superior Quality
- Cheap cost
- Discs being rasped
The SOG Seal Team Elite knife is undoubtedly the top survival knife. It screams good looks, quality, and toughness from every angle that you look at it. Its reason for being the number one choice for the U.S marines is the fact that it is strong and a jack of all trades. However, if you pick any other knife on this list, be guaranteed that you will not be disappointed. They are all designed to help you survive while you are out lost somewhere or when you just need a knife for your escapades. Choose one that does not mess up your budget and one that you will be comfortable with.