A survival knife is arguably the most indispensable asset for any person thinking of going camping, hiking, hunting, fishing, or on any other outdoor adventure. It is what will mean life or death when you are lost out in the wilderness. There is a wide array of survival knives in the market and choosing the best one is quite a daunting task. However, we’ve managed to sort and filter them out and bring you the top 10 best survival knife reviews of 2014.
- 1 10. Cold Steel Recon Tanto 13RTK
- 2 9. Gerber LMF II Infantry Knife 22-01629
- 3 8. Cold Steel San Mai Tanto Series Fixed Blade Knife – Made with Premium San Mai Steel
- 4 7.T010 Tom Brown Tracker
- 5 6. Cold Steel Recon 1 Series Tactical Folding Knife with Tri-Ad Lock and Pocket Clip – Made with Premium CPM-S35VN Steel
- 6 5. CRKT M16-14SF EDC Folding Pocket Knife: Special Forces Everyday Carry, Black Serrated Edge Blade, Tanto, Automated Liner Safety, Dual Hilt, Aluminum Handle, 4-Position Pocket Clip
- 7 4. Fallkniven NL1 Fine Edge Fixed Blade Knife with Leather Sheath, Brown
- 8 3. KA-BAR Becker BK2 Campanion Fixed Blade Knife
- 9 2. Ontario RTAK-II Serrated Edge Fixed Blade Knife
- 10 1. SOG Survival Knife with Sheath – SEAL Pup Elite Fixed Blade Tactical Knife, Hunting Knife, and Military Knife w/ 4.75 Inch Combat Knife Blade (E37T-K)
10. Cold Steel Recon Tanto 13RTK
This beautifully crafted knife has a 3/16 wide inch blade which is made of Japanese AUS Stainless Steel coated with Tuff-Ex finish for that extra pinch of durability. It has a 7-inch long blade suitable for slashing through bushes and when faced with a one on one combat challenge in the hands of the enemy. For greater handling experience, the Cold steel recon Tanto 13RTK embraces a long Kray-Ex handle that is heavily studded.
9. Gerber LMF II Infantry Knife 22-01629
The LMF II can be used used in a number of ways right from cutting through seat belts to survival skills like chopping firewood, creating shelter, and even as a fishing spear when it is tied to a pole. Its features include a 4.84-inch drop point blade with the overall knife length being 10.59 inches, electrically insulated, rugged handle for extra grip, and wear-resistant because of its 420HC Black stainless steel blade.
8. Cold Steel San Mai Tanto Series Fixed Blade Knife – Made with Premium San Mai Steel
As the name suggests, the Extreme SCHF3 is built for extreme survival situations. Its blade is made of tough 7Cr17 high carbon stainless steel. It is ideal for combat and survival because of its drop point blade capable of handling tasks such as chopping, skinning, and making carvings. In the handling department, it features a handle made of Micarta which makes it feel sturdy and easy to grip.
7.T010 Tom Brown Tracker
This knife is capable of handling chopping, splitting, carving, hammering, sawing, and even engraving. Its design is different from traditional survival knives. It has a wide blade made from 1095 high carbon alloy and is serrated on top. The Micarta handle is tough but slightly heavy.
6. Cold Steel Recon 1 Series Tactical Folding Knife with Tri-Ad Lock and Pocket Clip – Made with Premium CPM-S35VN Steel
This survival knife is razor-sharp and is able to handle any tough job it is thrown at. German 4116 Stainless Steel is used to make the blade and it has a Tuff-Ex non-reflective coating to protect the blade. The deeply textured handle is made of Kray-Ex for that extra grip comfort. Also on the handle are strong steel finger guards with double facing forward to protect your fingers.
5. CRKT M16-14SF EDC Folding Pocket Knife: Special Forces Everyday Carry, Black Serrated Edge Blade, Tanto, Automated Liner Safety, Dual Hilt, Aluminum Handle, 4-Position Pocket Clip
The Elishewitz F.T.W.S. looks simple and can easily pass for a normal kitchen knife but don’t let the looks deceive you. It features a 6.3 inches full tang blade that is made of SK5 carbon steel. Its blade tip is modified to full width to increase its durability when used for penetration purposes. The injection-molded Zytel handle is designed with an impressively textured surface and deep finger grooves.
4. Fallkniven NL1 Fine Edge Fixed Blade Knife with Leather Sheath, Brown
This knife has all the necessary ingredients for better survival chances when in the wilderness. The blade is made of an association of hard metals. The core of the blade is made of high carbon stainless steel (VG10) encompassed by tough 420J2 steel for extreme durability. Its drop point blade style makes it ideal for both slicing and chopping things.
3. KA-BAR Becker BK2 Campanion Fixed Blade Knife
The BK2 is one of the most loved survival knives because it fits well in the hand. Its 5.25-inch drop point blade is ideal for slicing and chopping. The blade, made of 1095 Cro-Van steel, is hard to the core and is as tough as it can be. The handle boasts of a Grivory material which provides a strong grip to the knife.
2. Ontario RTAK-II Serrated Edge Fixed Blade Knife
This knife is large in size and offers an added advantage when one is stranded somewhere in the forest. It is capable of slicing through thick bushes, thickets, and branches without breaking a sweat. The blade is made of strong 5160 carbon steel. The handle on the other hand is made of thick Micarta and is easily removable for cleaning.
1. SOG Survival Knife with Sheath – SEAL Pup Elite Fixed Blade Tactical Knife, Hunting Knife, and Military Knife w/ 4.75 Inch Combat Knife Blade (E37T-K)
This knife is beautifully crafted yet it is ultra-strong and reliable. It features a 7-inch blade made of AUS-8 steel and to create its superior wear resistance, the blade has undergone a unique cryogenic heat treatment process. Glass Re-enforced Nylon (GRN) with contours is used to make the handle. What makes this knife the perfect choice is the rigorous challenge by the army that it underwent and managed to emerge victoriously. The tests included a two-week saltwater immersion, chopping, tip breaking stress, hammering.
The SOG Seal Team Elite knife is undoubtedly the top survival knife. It screams good looks, quality, and toughness from every angle that you look at it. Its reason for being the number one choice for the U.S marines is the fact that it is strong and a jack of all trades. However, if you pick any other knife on this list, be guaranteed that you will not be disappointed. They are all designed to help you survive while you are out lost somewhere or when you just need a knife for your escapades. Choose one that does not mess up your budget and one that you will be comfortable with.