A survival knife is arguably the most indispensable asset for any person thinking of going camping, hiking, hunting, fishing, or on any other outdoor adventure. It is what will mean life or death when you are lost out in the wilderness. There is a wide array of survival knives in the market and choosing the best one is quite a daunting task. However, we’ve managed to sort and filter them out and bring you the top 10 best survival knife reviews of 2023.
Out Top Picks
The Best Survival Knives in 2023 – Tested and Reviewed
1. Cold Steel Recon Tanto 13RTK
- DEVELOPED AND REFINED: Through our pioneering research, this blade shape has proven the value of the "American Tanto" style reinforced point beyond question
- TRUSTED: Having seen active military application in numerous conflicts, it is on its way to becoming the preferred fixed blade for special military units and SWAT teams
- this blade shape has proven the value of the “American Tanto” style reinforced point beyond question
- The Recon Tanto continues to redefine the standard for combat knives around the globe
- Specifications - Blade Length: 7 inches; Handle Length: 4 3/4 inches; Weight: 9 ounces
This beautifully crafted knife has a 3/16 wide inch blade which is made of Japanese AUS Stainless Steel coated with Tuff-Ex finish for that extra pinch of durability. It has a 7-inch long blade suitable for slashing through bushes and when faced with a one on one combat challenge in the hands of the enemy. For greater handling experience, the Cold steel recon Tanto 13RTK embraces a long Kray-Ex handle that is heavily studded.
- Consistently sharp knife
- Having a hollow ground tanto blade is a plus in my book.
- seems to be constructed with care
- Although it comes with a sharp edge, it might be much more so.
- This item’s handle is too small and square for even average-sized hands.
- Its front end is disproportionately hefty compared to the rest of the knife.
- The finger guard and the contour of the back of the grip make it very difficult to switch grips.
- Inconsistent grinding
- This sheath is worthless.
2. Gerber LMF II Infantry Knife 22-01629
- Originally designed to free an aircrew from a downed aircraft
- Tough enough to cut through the fuselage of an aircraft
- Purposeful break between the tang and the butt cap, providing insulated protection against stray wires and absorbing any shock from hammering.
- Handle Material: Glass-filled nylon with TPV overmold
- Sheath Material: Ballistic nylon with fire retardant coating
The LMF II can be used used in a number of ways right from cutting through seat belts to survival skills like chopping firewood, creating shelter, and even as a fishing spear when it is tied to a pole. Its features include a 4.84-inch drop point blade with the overall knife length being 10.59 inches, electrically insulated, rugged handle for extra grip, and wear-resistant because of its 420HC Black stainless steel blade.
- Immediately effective
- Snug, portable, and versatile in its carrying options.
- Effective enough for starting fires
- Useful for batoning, and the integrated sharpener is a nifty bonus.
- Simple to lace together into a spear
- Sheath fits like a glove (could possibly be a con)
- It seems hefty for its size to some people, but I had no trouble carrying it about.
- Chopping caused minor damage to the handle near the blade. To be anticipated, as it made such a solid impact with the wooden surface.
- There isn’t a lot of room for the hammer, and it’s an odd shape to hold as you work.
3. Cold Steel San Mai Tanto Series Fixed Blade Knife
- All of our Tantos feature a deep lustrous satin finish on the hollow ground blade bevels and a contrasting line grain finish on the blade flats; Blade Thickness: 3/16”, Blade Length: 12”
- The Tanto’s come with our famous flattened oval Kraton handle; Handle Length/Material: 5-5/8" Kray-Ex
- The oval shape provides a solid grip and resists rolling or twisting in the hand under hard use, the kind that, over time, would destroy a lesser knife; Overall Length: 17-5/8"
- Designed to concentrate the full force of a crushing blow in a small area so that even a moderately powerful blow can be remarkably effective in disarming or otherwise incapacitating an attacker; Weight: 14.2oz
As the name suggests, the Extreme SCHF3 is built for extreme survival situations. Its blade is made of tough 7Cr17 high carbon stainless steel. It is ideal for combat and survival because of its drop point blade capable of handling tasks such as chopping, skinning, and making carvings. In the handling department, it features a handle made of Micarta which makes it feel sturdy and easy to grip.
- Extremely swift knife blade. Even though their blade lengths are same, this knife feels significantly lighter in my hand than my
- Magnum Warcraft Tanto. Reason being, the Magnum Warcraft Tanto is 5mm thick and has a flat grind, whereas this one is just 4.7mm thick and has a hollow grind.
- There are identical cuts on both the left and right sides. Straight and accurate from the handle to the end of the blade.
- There are no flaws on the outside at all.
- There is a clean, distinct alloy contact line that extends approximately 2 mm in from the edge.
- Aimable right out of the box.
- When brand new, the blade could not be removed from the Secure-X sheath by utilizing the sheath’s built-in thumb serrations.
4. BigCat Handmade Damascus Hunting Knife
- BUILT TO LAST: Each Damascus blade is handcrafted with 288 layers of Damascus steel to offer excellent durability and edge retention. The overall length of the knife is 10'' and the blade length is 4.8''. 8.2 oz weight.
- MULTIPURPOSE: This knife is ideal for skinning and hunting. Our hunting knives can take anything and everything: camping, hiking, fishing, or any outdoor task.
- COMFORTABLE GRIP: We paid a lot of attention to the design on our walnut wood handle to ensure it's comfortable and ergonomic to endure any task.
- CARRY IT EVERYWHERE: This stunning piece of damascus art comes with a genuine leather sheath, EDC belt loop, and snap fastener.
- BIGCAT: We stand behind our products. If you find any issues with your order please reach out to us and we will make it right.
The blade of the Viper Hunter is expertly manufactured to last a very long time and keep its sharp edge. A Damascus blade with 15N25, 1080, and 288 layers
The ergonomic walnut wood handle of this handcrafted hunting knife improves grip and comfort. This bushcraft knife strikes a nice mix between endurance and aesthetics thanks to its sturdy metal safety guard.
There’s no mistaking the quality of our Damascus bowie knife. It has a genuine leather sheath, a snap closure, and a belt loop for everyday use. With its lightweight and portable design, you can take it with you wherever.
Did you know that the blades of each of our hunting knives is unique? Our tactical knives are works of art in their own right, each one requiring many hours of painstaking labor by skilled artisans.
- The Damascus blade, the hand-carved wooden handle, and the leather sheath are all works of art in their own right.
- The blade is beautiful, and it has a satisfying weight and balance at the tang.
- Sheath seems rather big for such a little knife.
5. Cold Steel Recon 1 Series Tactical Folding Knife
- GREAT FOR THE TOUGHEST JOBS: The Recon 1 is a popular knife with Military and Law Enforcement Personnel, Fire and Rescue crews and civilians and is trusted to perform in even the toughest jobs and the most taxing conditions
- PREMIUM STEEL: Features exceptional CPM-S35VN steel, which is very tough and durable, highly corrosion resistant, and able to take and hold a fine razor sharp edge; Commonly used steel in high-end, superior quality custom knives
- COMFORTABLE, SECURE GRIP: Tough and durable G-10 handle material provides a secure and comfortable grip in all conditions
- ULTRA-RELIABLE LOCKING MECHANISM: Features custom knife-maker Andrew Demko's famous TriAd lock that has been proven over time to be unsurpassed in strength, shock resistance and durability and gives unrivaled protection for your irreplaceable fingers
- SPECIFICATIONS: Weight - 5.3 ounces; Blade Length - 4 inches; Handle Length - 5 3/8 inches; Overall Length - 9 3/8 inches
This survival knife is razor-sharp and is able to handle any tough job it is thrown at. German 4116 Stainless Steel is used to make the blade and it has a Tuff-Ex non-reflective coating to protect the blade. The deeply textured handle is made of Kray-Ex for that extra grip comfort. Also on the handle are strong steel finger guards with double facing forward to protect your fingers.
- With just the proper amount of resistance, opening is a breeze and can be accomplished with a thumb and a wrist flick.
- The handle’s shape fits my hand well, and it feels sturdy thanks to its prominent yet pleasant texture.
- The blade is narrow and the overall design is unobtrusive.
6. CRKT M16-14SF EDC Folding Pocket Knife
- Safe And Secure: Automated liner safety provides extra layer of lock security
- Cutting Power: Triple Point serrations cut fibrous materials with ease
- Strong And Lightweight: Aluminum handle combines strength with minimal weight
- Designed by Kit Carson in Vine Grove, Kentucky
- Limited Lifetime Warranty covers any defects in materials or workmanship, see company site for details
The Elishewitz F.T.W.S. looks simple and can easily pass for a normal kitchen knife but don’t let the looks deceive you. It features a 6.3 inches full tang blade that is made of SK5 carbon steel. Its blade tip is modified to full width to increase its durability when used for penetration purposes. The injection-molded Zytel handle is designed with an impressively textured surface and deep finger grooves.
- When closed, it is as sturdy as a fixed blade. Strong hold and complete protection.
- A full guard is large and has pointed edges. Too difficult to use
7. Survival Camping Knife | Fixed Blade Hunting Knife
- ✅ ENJOY NATURE IN MAX SAFETY: Set off camping, hiking, hunting or fishing with a premium bushcraft knife including a Kydex Sheath with leather strap, Flint Rod with G10 handle, G 10 Scraper, Paracord and Allen Wrench.
- ✅ ELITE FIXED BLADE KNIVES MADE TO LAST: We are offering you an 8.6" outdoor knife equipped with a 4.0" D2 steel blade of 0.136" thickness and 58-60 HRC hardness- a razor sharp blade for optimal functionality.
- ✅ ERGONOMIC HANDLE FOR BEST GRIP: Your emergency knife features a G10 knife handle 1.4" wide, which is easy to hold, anti-slip and comfortable, allowing for better agility and control in use without tiring your hand.
- ✅ GET A COMPLETE BUSHCRAFT KNIFE KIT: Keep your military knife in the Kydex Sheath with the leather strap. We are offering you the Ferro rod, the G10 Scraper, Paracord to attach them to the knife & have them always at hand.
- ✅ GIVE A THOUGHTFUL GIFT TO A LOVED NATURE LOVER: Coming in an eye-catching Gift Box, this superior quality bowie knife is ready to offer as a gift. Thrill a loved hunter, fisherman, camper and adventure lover!
Infatuated with survival in the wild? You want to spend your weekends adventuring in the great outdoors, and you want a sturdy steel blade hunting or camping knife. Is the birthday of a loved fisherman or hunter coming up, and you want to give him or her something really special? Are you looking for a reliable survival knife to add to your automobile’s emergency supplies? Are you sick of using bushcraft knives with blades that dull in the wind? If so, we know what to do about it!
The single most important thing to think about if venturing out into the wild is being safe. In addition, a reliable tactical knife is an essential part of your survival kit, as it will ensure the safety of your outdoor activities like hunting, fishing, and camping.
This high-end military fixed-blade knife may be carried safely in its K-Sheath and attached to your belt with the sturdy leather strap. A survival knife kit is a must-have for every outdoor enthusiast, whether you’re going trekking, camping, backpacking, hiking, hunting, or fishing.
You may clip it to your belt and use it in the garden or while making something, or you can put it into the trunk of your vehicle and have it handy in case of an accident.
- The use of ferro rods is effective
- The handle is well-padded and solid.
- Produced at little cost
8. KA-BAR Becker BK2 Campanion Fixed Blade Knife
- Full tang heavy duty field knife suited for camping chores.
- Made in Olean New York, U.S.A
- Designed by Ethan Becker
- Manufactured by KA-BAR Knives Inc.
- Comes with a hard shell black nylon sheath.
The BK2 is one of the most loved survival knives because it fits well in the hand. Its 5.25-inch drop point blade is ideal for slicing and chopping. The blade, made of 1095 Cro-Van steel, is hard to the core and is as tough as it can be. The handle boasts of a Grivory material which provides a strong grip to the knife.
- The 1095 Cro-van Steel is a high-quality, multipurpose metal. It’s durable, easy to sharpen, and can achieve a razor’s edge.
- Modifying and personalizing this knife is simple. Several accessories are available on the market to let you personalize it.
- The retention of the sheath is really good.
- This is the cover. The belt loop on the sheath is currently made out of flimsy nylon and needs to be upgraded to a more robust and rigid material.
9. Ontario RTAK-II Serrated Edge Fixed Blade Knife
- ✅ MULTIFUNCTIONAL USAGE: The small full tang outdoor fixed blade knife with sheath is the best kind of fixed blade knife for survival, camping or bush craft gears, and perfectly suitable for drilling, cutting, piercing and other bush craft tasks
- ✅ SAFE CARRYING: Full tang knife with leather sheath has a belt loop for vertical carrying and perfect as everyday carrying (EDC) knife. The handmade leather case crafted from the highest quality premium genuine leather
- ✅ SHARP BLADE: The bush belt knife blade with sharpening type - Scandi grind and made of durable high carbon steel 1066 and hardened to 56-57 HRC and has a razor sharp edge blade out of the box
- ✅ HANDY SIZE: The compact full-tang lightweight survival knife with 3.7inch drop point blade and 7.9inch total size has easy and quick access in the leather cover and is perfect for carrying in the backpack, bag, and survival kit
- ✅ DIMENSIONS: Overall length - 200 mm (~8 inches), Blade length - 95 mm (3.74 inches), Blade thickness - 2 mm (0.08 inches), Weight - 80 grams (2.8 oz.), Weight wit sheath - 100 grams (3.5 oz.)
For drilling, cutting, piercing, and other bush craft operations, nothing beats a tiny full tang outdoor fixed blade knife with a sheath.
This full tang knife in a leather sheath with a belt loop is ideal as a vertically carried EDC blade. The real leather used in the making of the casing is of the best quality possible.
The high carbon steel 1066 blade of this bush belt knife is honed to a razor’s edge (56-57 HRC) and has a Scandi grind for ease of sharpening.
Ideal for stashing in a purse, bag, or survival kit, this slim, lightweight, full-tang survival knife features a 3.7-inch drop point blade and measures 7.9 inches overall.
The knife has a 200 mm (8 inch) overall length, a 93 mm (3.6 inch) blade length, and a 2 mm (0.079 inch) blade thickness (0.08 inches), Weight: 75 grams (3.5 oz.), 100 grams (with sheath) (3.5 oz.)
- That’s a very reasonable price
- You won’t mind holding on to the BPS BS1FTS.
- Edges sharp enough for hair shaving
- Weighty, yet too long to comfortably wear around the neck.
- Scabbard, made of leather
- Iron with carbon
- The handles have a rough surface and might need some polishing.
- For the knife to fit in the sheath, it requires a little bit of elongation. It’s possible that wet forming is the most effective method.
- Handle screws loosen somewhat, however this doesn’t affect the hold.
- The loop for attaching a belt is quite narrow; a wide belt won’t fit.
- As time passes, it will corrode.
- Large, extra-large hands may find the handle a little too short.
10. SOG Survival Knife with Sheath
- 4.75-INCH AUS-8 STAINLESS STEEL BLADE:, the SOG SEAL Pup full tang knife is a field-tested outdoor knife, boot knife and hunting knife with sheath; measures 9 inches in overall length
- 5.4 OUNCES W/ GRN HANDLE: A military knife design with a nearly indestructible field knife handle for this type of Bowie knife with sheath; glass-reinforced nylon offers great grip with zero maintenance
- HARD-MOLDED KYDEX SHEATH: A versatile sheath for a razor sharp knife; great as a camping knife, rescue knife, skinning knife, pelt knife, or military knife sheath
- FULL TANG KNIFE, POWDER COATED AND HARDENED: SOG’s cryogenic heat treatment hardens steel at the atomic level for a blade far stronger than your average fixed blade knife
- SOG KNIFE FOR LIFE: Take care of your tactical knife and we’ll take care of you; SOG fixed blade knives with sheath are built to last, and we consider all repair and replacement requests
This knife is beautifully crafted yet it is ultra-strong and reliable. It features a 7-inch blade made of AUS-8 steel and to create its superior wear resistance, the blade has undergone a unique cryogenic heat treatment process. Glass Re-enforced Nylon (GRN) with contours is used to make the handle. What makes this knife the perfect choice is the rigorous challenge by the army that it underwent and managed to emerge victoriously. The tests included a two-week saltwater immersion, chopping, tip breaking stress, hammering.
- Positive ergos, at least
- Solid metal (aus8)
- Kydex sheath, well-designed
- Superior Quality
- Cheap cost
- Discs being rasped
The SOG Seal Team Elite knife is undoubtedly the top survival knife. It screams good looks, quality, and toughness from every angle that you look at it. Its reason for being the number one choice for the U.S marines is the fact that it is strong and a jack of all trades. However, if you pick any other knife on this list, be guaranteed that you will not be disappointed. They are all designed to help you survive while you are out lost somewhere or when you just need a knife for your escapades. Choose one that does not mess up your budget and one that you will be comfortable with.