Whether you own a collection of sports knives or only the kitchen variety, you will find them more equal to the task if they are kept perpetually sharp. Knife sharpeners are indispensable pieces of equipment in this regard as they ensure you keep your blades sharp without compromising on their usability. Moreover, professionally designed sharpeners take the guesswork out of the task of sharpening knives and guarantee safety as well. We have scoured the web to find you the Top ten best knife sharpeners for 2014. Without further ado, here is our winning list:
- 0.1 10. Smiths Consumer Products JIFF-S Jiffy Knife & Scissors Sharpener
- 0.2 2. Fortune Prod 001 AccuSharp Knife and Tool Sharpener
- 0.3 3. AccuSharp Classic Pull-Through Knife Sharpener – White/Blue (036C) Kitchen Knife Sharpener, Cooking, Knives, Knife Accessories, Sharpening, Carbide Blades, Ceramic Rods
- 0.4 4. Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener
- 0.5 5. Lansky Deluxe 5-Stone Sharpening System
- 0.6 6. Presto 08800 EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener
- 0.7 7. National Presto Ind 08810 Eversharp Electric Knife Sharpener
- 0.8 8. Work Sharp WSKTS-1 Knife and Tool Sharpener
- 0.9 9. Smith’s TRI-6 Arkansas TRI-HONE Sharpening Stones System
- 0.10 10. Arkansas Sharpening Stone Set – Wood Mounted 8″
- 1 Final Thought
10. Smiths Consumer Products JIFF-S Jiffy Knife & Scissors Sharpener
This sharpener is specially designed for sharpening kitchen knives and scissors. However, it lacks the precision engineering that would be good enough for sharpening professional sports knives, arrowheads, and blades. It comes with a number of versatile options including 800 grit coarse and fine ceramic carbides.
- Tool for sharpening knives and scissors; Convenient, efficient, and risk-free
- Performs a thorough job of honing all varieties of straight-bladed knives; This sharpener may be used for either left or right handed scissors.
- The precision of the sharpening is assured by a predetermined angle.
- Carbide blades that can be reversed and swapped out quickly and easily; safety locking mechanism
- Coarse carbide abrasives; ultra-fine ceramic extra-fine abrasives (Grit 1,500)
- Usage is a breeze
- Superior advantage
- Successfully function
- The handle is made of plastic, although I would have preferred metal.
2. Fortune Prod 001 AccuSharp Knife and Tool Sharpener
This sharpener is built for ease of use and portability. While it is effective on nifty knives and small kitchen and garden equipment, it may not achieve as great results with heftier pieces of equipment such as axes, shovels, or hoes. But many people still love it for its safety or use, ease of cleaning, and easily replaceable parts.
- Attractive outward appearance
- Frames made of aluminum with a matte finish
- Tungsten carbide knives with diamond-like edges
- Sharpening is accelerated by diamond-coated rods.
- This is the perfect present for the gourmand in your life.
- I no longer have to waste time sharpening knives when I might be doing other more productive things. About 10 seconds each knife is all it takes to do this. Each and every time.
- Quite long-lasting; my original Accusharp is still going strong after two years of use.
- Extremely sharp; it’ll make short work of anything you need to cut with your knives.
- Carry one with you everywhere you go; throw one with your survival kit, camping gear, or backpack. It’s really light in weight.
- Pricing – It’s cheap.
- Easy enough for a child to do
- A knife will not be sharpened as well as using a typical sharpening method or by a professional knife sharpener.
3. AccuSharp Classic Pull-Through Knife Sharpener – White/Blue (036C) Kitchen Knife Sharpener, Cooking, Knives, Knife Accessories, Sharpening, Carbide Blades, Ceramic Rods
This 2-stage knife sharpener from Kitchen IQ is an affordable albeit a versatile piece of sharpening tool. Not only is it portable and lightweight but also easy to use whether you are fond of sharpening your knives on a table or kitchen countertop. It features carbide blades and crossed ceramic rods with preset sharpening angle guides. Even better, it comes with a slip-proof rubber base for maximum safety. You will also come to appreciate and love the rubber grip handle which makes every sharpening challenge a comfortable delight.
- All you need is soap and water or the dishwasher to clean your AccuSharp knife sharpener after use.
- Colors like blazing orange make them noticeable from far away.
- Arrow Sharpener for Broadheads
- Backpacks with tethering loops for lanyards.
- Strong traction on any wet or slippery surface
- Excellent, hassle-free sharpener that requires no assembly.
- It’s not hard to figure out how to proceed using the directions provided.
4. Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener
If you are looking for a handy, portable knife sharpener; you cannot find one to beat this Smith’s product. Despite its pocket-size though, the sharpener is pretty versatile. It comes with a range of preset carbide sharpening guides to suit different blade sizes. Moreover, it has a tapered diamond rod suitable for sharpening both standard and serrated blade edges.
- Sharpening Rod with Diamond Coating, Tapered Round Shape, for Both Straight and Serrated Surfaces
- Blades Made of Carbide (Coarse CARBIDE Slot) Preset sharpening angles for consistent results Ceramic stones (fine CERAMIC slot) deliver a sharp edge quickly and easily Reversible and replaceable Carbide and Ceramic stones enable long-lasting sharpening Lanyard hole for convenient portability
- Compact enough to fit in your purse, briefcase, or camera bag.
- Both the carbide blades and the ceramic finishing stones are easily interchangeable.
- Diamond rod with a tapered tip; perfect for honing the blades of serrated knives.
- The back of the package has clear instructions for sharpening.
- Well made; comfortable to use; lightweight and sturdy
- Depending on the knife, V-shaped sharpening slots with predetermined sharpening angles may or may not be useful.
5. Lansky Deluxe 5-Stone Sharpening System
This is a collection of sharpening tools meant for professional knife and blade-tool handlers. The system combines a set of 5 sharpening stones for the whole gamut of blades needed in the house, garden, or shed. The guide control has 4 preset sharpening angle options to accommodate just about any knife and blade you would find in a typical home or sporting collection. The system also comes with a precision-engineered knife clamp not to mention the professional-looking carrying case.
- The finest blades, whether they are for the kitchen, the outdoors, hobbies, or the yard, may be maintained with the help of this deluxe 5-stone
- Various alumina oxide, ceramic, and extra-fine hone textures are included.
- Replica: Cast in durable polymer for a convincing appearance and weight. Is 8 pounds in weight
- Finger-grooved safety holds for the various colored stones; Specially formulated honing oil
- Features a custom-molded carrying case and a knife clamp designed by engineers.
- Usage is a breeze
- Excellent for both pocket and fixed blade knives
- Easy to transport (use anywhere home, camping, beach, mountains wherever)
- To reiterate, getting the stand is something you should do.
- It is difficult to maintain a stone surface.
6. Presto 08800 EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener
Made of stainless steel, this Presto sharpener is a beloved of many sport knife enthusiasts around the globe. It comes with a two-stage sharpening system though only for straight-edged blades. It has a pretty intuitive precision blade guide to ensure you place your blade at just the right angle for sharpening and honing. Its sapphire sharpening wheels are precision designed to ensure your knives are sharpened to a precision razor edge within the shortest time possible.
- Quickly and affordably restore the sharpness of your kitchen and sports knives.
- Almost any non-serrated knife may be brought back to factory sharpness with this simple 2-step procedure.
- With the use of sapphire sharpening wheels, a blade may be ground to a precise angle, then honed, and finally polished, to achieve a razor’s edge.
- The ultra-hard substance utilized in expert sharpening services is also used to make sapphire sharpening wheels.
- The knife is securely held at the ideal angle by blade guides.
- Just a few passes of the knife through each slot will sharpen the blade to a razor’s edge.
- The two-stage sharpening technique is simple to use and produces excellent results on almost any non-serrated blade. (A 120-volt outlet powers the Presto knife sharpener.)
- excellently fulfills its function
- Simple, Mild, and Quick to Clean Up
- Sheds a conspicuous amount of metal from the edge
- Shaky (even with suction cup feet), and very noisy (like a buzz saw).
- There is a lot of metal dust that is not good for your lungs.
- A little over large for my teeny-tiny kitchen, which has precisely zero available counter space (YMMV)
7. National Presto Ind 08810 Eversharp Electric Knife Sharpener
This nifty piece of equipment adds a measure of versatility to all your indoor sharpening needs. Its precision tooling also guarantees you professional results every time you put your hand to it. It is equally good when sharpening kitchen knives as it is in the more robustly constructed sports knives. With blade guides that hold the knife or implement at the exact angle you want, there is no longer a need for guesswork when it comes to sharpening and honing your knives.
- Simple 3-step procedure for perfectly sharpened tools at your fingertips, 24/7.
- Works on Santoku knives along with other kitchen and sports knives.
- Choose the optimal sharpening angle for your blade with the help of the blade thickness slider.
- Choose a thicker blade for a hunting knife, a medium blade for a chef’s knife or any normal kitchen knife, and a thin blade for a fillet or paring knife.
- The knife can be sharpened without guesswork thanks to guidelines that keep it at the ideal angle.
- The blade is sharpened to a razor’s edge on a ceramic wheel with an extremely fine grit.
- Expert results at home with a three-stage sharpening method.
- Simple on/off toggle switch
- You may choose between a thin utility knife, a standard blade, or a chef’s knife.
- You may readily learn the three stages—coarse, medium, and fine—and their corresponding nuances.
- With this electric knife sharpener, sharpening blades is a breeze.
- Get the edge back on your knife in under a minute.
- Alternatives that are inexpensive
- An oversized hand sharpener
8. Work Sharp WSKTS-1 Knife and Tool Sharpener
This sharpener is designed to enable even rank amateurs to sharpen knives like pros. It is also one of the most versatile sharpeners you are likely to spend money on. It comes packaged with a set of premium abrasive sharpening belts to meet all your sharpening and honing needs. The belts are available in coarse, medium, and fine grain configurations. Hobbyists are also attracted to this sharpener because of its precision sharpening guides which provide for easy, fast, and consistently repeatable results. With just minor adjustments, the sharpener can be used to sharpen just about any kitchen tool just as any gardening or lawn tool.
- Material Steel
- Sharp Branding Work
- Color Black
- Product Weight: 1.9 lb.
- Medium, Coarse, and Fine Grit
- Inches: 9 Length: 5″ Width: 5″
- To sharpen with ease and speed and efficiency.
- You just need three minutes and a minimum of expertise to give each blade a razor’s edge.
9. Smith’s TRI-6 Arkansas TRI-HONE Sharpening Stones System
This is an exquisitely designed sharpening system both for knives and bigger blades. It features a unique rotating triangular block for easy sharpening-stone identification and rotation. It also comes with one of the most intuitively designed and fixed honing solutions in the business. Apt for heavy duty sharpening, the designers have included a non-skid base that also caters to oil drips for maximum safety. To make the system easy-to-use even for first-time users, the product is sold alongside an angle guide depicting the right angles to use when sharpening and honing blades.
- Stones from Arkansas (Fine and Medium) and a man-made stone with a grain size equivalent to coarse Arkansas stone.
- Mounted Stones on a Triangular Rotating Base Made of Molded Plastic Make It Simple to Rotate and Identify Each Stone
- Base is made of nonslip rubber and plastic for stability.
- Use This Angle Guide When Sharpening to Guarantee Proper Bevel Every Time.
- Sturdy construction
- Maintains its place.
- Each stone performs as expected.
- The stones are not simply replaced individually if one is worn out (which would take a very long time).
10. Arkansas Sharpening Stone Set – Wood Mounted 8″
Easy to use, innovative, compact, heavy-duty… You will soon run out of adjectives to define this knife sharpener from Chef’s Choice Collection. The sharpener brings along advanced hybrid technology combining manual sharpening with electricity-powered options to fit just about every knife sharpening need in the house and outdoors. The sharpener is just as good for serrated blades as it is for straight-edged blades. For the best results, connoisseurs advise that you should use the electric option for sharpening and the manual one for honing.
- There are three types of stones provided: a soft one, a hard one, and a black Arkansas stone. Grits, in Various Sizes, from Coarse to Extra-Fine
- Dimensions of 2×6, 2×8, and 2×10 are all on offer.
- Natural Arkansas Stones for Sharpening
- Ideal for usage both at a bench and in the hand.
- Produced in the USA, Enduring Warranty, and a Free Wooden Stand Are All Standard Features.
- They are resilient in every environment.
- When compared to other products of similar quality, the pricing of these stones is really reasonable.
If you want your knives useful and equal to the task every time, you have little option but to ensure they are sharp all the time. It is true that there are plenty of knife sharpeners in the market to provide for the needs of any domestic user or sporting knife professional. As the detailed reviews above show, finding a suitable knife sharpener is not as complex as it is made out to be.