If you have worked for a length of time with drills, whether you were drilling wood or metal, you will know that the quality of your workmanship depends to a large extent on how sharp and precise your drill bits are. As you cannot afford to buy a new drill bit set once the original ones become too blunt, the answer is to invest in a versatile drill bit sharpener.
The following comprehensive guide and expert review feature ten of the best drill bit sharpeners and grinding systems money can buy. We have ranked them on their utility value, functional design and ultimately, value for money. Choose one which is best suited for your purposes and it may be the best investment you will make this year.
Out Top Picks
Your Trustworthy Guide to the Top 10 Best Drill Bit Sharpener Reviews in 2023
1. Drill Doctor DD500X Drill Bit Sharpener
- SHARPENS STANDARD DRILL BITS – from 3/32" to 1/2" standard twist bits. Optional 3/4 inch chuck available as upgrade.
- SHARPEN and SPLIT - Sharpen all common twist style drill bits and split the cutting tip to reduce wear and increase cutting performance of your bits.
- SHARPEN to 118 or 135 Degrees - Accomodates all common bit angles.
- 500X is ideal for the serious DIY'er, hobbyist and professional user who needs sharp bits to get the job done.
- 3-YEAR WARRANTY - protects every Drill Doctor bit sharpener against defects due to workmanship or design
Designed for use by the most selective tools enthusiasts, this precision sharpening tool is sold with a free Drifter Knife from Columbia River Knife and Tool. Intuitive yet unmatched in functional value, the sharpener aligns easily and can be used to sharpen a wide range of drill bits with ease. It sharpens 3/32-Inch to1/2-inch standard twist bits and creates split points.
Its versatility of function means it is the best drill bit sharpener to work on everything from high-speed steel, masonry, carbide, to Tin-coated bits. To be certain that the sharpener will continue offering you the best performance for a lifetime, it is sold with a comprehensive three-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- This is fantastic if you’re just going to be drilling wood. (But how often would you need to resharpen if you just drilled wood?)
- As helpful as assistance is, it won’t be enough to carry this frail product on its own.
- Inconsistent bit holding from the chuck. One of the chuck’s fingers has slid to the side, or the bit has spun.
- When it comes to teaching how to use the angle selector, the handbook is a complete failure.
- Drill sizes larger than 3/8 inch may benefit from split point. Eventually, I just stopped trying.
- It is quite difficult to get a uniform grind on tiny pieces.
2. Work Sharp Wood Tool Sharpener
- Sharepn Chisels, lathe tools, plane irons, spoke shavesm and carvinge tools to razor sharp edges. The WS3000 uses a true flat glass wheel for incredibly sharp tools and perfectly flat backs. Includes (2) glass wheels, (1) slotted Edge-Vision wheel, (2) P120 abrasive discs, (4) P400 abrasive discs, (4) P1000 abrasive discs, (1) 3600 abrasive disc, (1) P80 slotted abrasive discs, (2) P400 slotted abrasive discs, (2) P1200 slotted abrasive discs, (1) tool rest, (1) crepe stick.
- No jigs required - sharpening port has precise and repeatable bevel angle settings of 20°, 25°, 30° and 35° for chisels and plane irons up to 2" Wide. Achieve a perfect 5° micro-bevel for fast re-honing.
- Powerful 1/5 HP motor - with 580 rpm speed has routed air flow and a heat sink cooling system to sharpen blades fast without blade damaging heat. This low-rpm wheel maintains speed regardless of load for improved consistency, so whether your specialty is custom furniture, cabinetry, or old-fashioned wooden toys
- Accessories available - you can attach a wide variety of standard six-inch, adhesive-backed abrasive disks to these wheels, making it easy to select the grit you need for rough grinding or fine honing. And with two glass wheels, you can always have four different grits ready to go (one on each wheel surface), making it easy to move from task to task.
- Proud to be an American company - Work Sharp is part of Darex, a 4th-generation family owned company in Ashland, Oregon. For over 40 years We have been engineering industry-leading sharpening tools here in the USA.
The latest in cutting-edge technological advancements! Because there is no water involved in this sharpening process, there is no chance of water damage or tool overheating. Chisels, mortise chisels, Japanese chisels, plane irons, spoke shaves, carving tools, lathe tools, gouges, axes, and more are all eligible for sharpening and honing at Work Sharp. Industrial quality switch with safety lockout and grounded 6′ power wire, 6″ PSA Abrasive Media, impact and vibration resistant tool grade plastic base. Expected service life of 2 years.
- Always prepared for action
- You can quickly switch between different grit sizes and plate sizes using this system.
- Simple to hone to a razor’s edge after removing unwanted substances
- Support told me straight out that the plates wobbling side to side (not up and down) is perfectly acceptable.
- Noise level varies, but is still far lower than that of a bench planer.
3. Drill Bit Sharpener Tormek DBS-22
- 4-facet point brings the point to a chisel edge that will not walk and bores round, straight holes with close tolerances
- The always equal two cutting edges are sharpened symmetrically and work in perfect unison which prolongs the life of the drill
- Sharpens all point angles between 90 and 150 degrees
- The optimal clearance angle can be set according to each drilling requirement to 7, 9, 11, or 14 degrees
- One drill holder sharpens drill bits from 1/8-Inch (3mm) to 7/8-Inch (22 mm)
This Arksen drill bit sharpening system is intended to offer you the best balance between all-around functionality and affordable pricing. Easily customizable to sharpen drill bits of various sizes and precision settings, you will never run out of options with this sharpener in your toolbox.
This drill bit sharpener is sold in a frustration-free packaging and will prove easy to assemble even if you are not adept at such kind of tasks. What is more, you get to enjoy one of the most iron-clad warranty guarantees and performance assurances in the industry.
- The instructions are easy to understand.
- Excellent results, but time-consuming setup and usage.
- Using this item is a bit of a hassle.
4. Drill Doctor DD750X 750X Drill Bit Sharpener
- Sharpen multiple types of drill bits – high-speed steel, masonry, Cobalt, & tin-coated drill bits. Designed for the serious tool user, This professional, easy-to-use system makes it simple to keep a sharp, perfectly angled cutting edge on bits you use often
- Custom point angle sharpening – set any angle from 115° to 140° with cast aluminum point angle shuttle for added durability, A unique back-cut split-point bit an extra-narrow chisel point, making it faster to penetrate and less likely to wander on the material you are drilling in To
- Extend the life of your bits – from 3/32-inch to ¾-inch, create & remove split points & adjustable material take-off allows you to adjust the amount of material removed during sharpening
- 3-Year warranty - protects every Drill Doctor bit sharpener against defects due to workmanship or design, using a 115V machine in a location with 230V power sources voids the warranty
- Manufactured in Oregon - We design, engineer, & assemble our sharpening machines all under one roof in the USA
You can have your drill bits sharpened in no time, whether they are made of high-speed steel, masonry, Cobalt, or tin. Developed for the most demanding professionals, You can easily and professionally maintain a sharp, properly angled cutting edge on your most frequently used bits with this simple technique.
Cast aluminum point angle shuttle allows for precise adjustment of the angle of the point, which may be adjusted anywhere between 115 and 140 degrees for increased longevity. You may drill through tough materials more quickly and with less vibration using a special back-cut split-point bit with an extra-narrow chisel tip. Bits may be sharpened to a finer or coarser point with the adjustable material take-off, and split points can be created and deleted as needed. Sizes ranging from 3/32 inch to 3/4 inch are supported.
- Bits may be resharpened in record time.
- Instructions are straightforward and simple to follow. Preparing and sharpening one of these larger-sized parts takes me approximately 10 minutes on average.
- Supplied carrying case is roomy enough to hold the device, its attachments, and a pair of safety goggles (not included), with extra space for storing earplugs (not included).
- I went to the trouble of giving each of the resharpened pieces a split point. The drill bits won’t “wander” as much while beginning a hole in metal. No issues with the initial cut; it created a clean break and the surplus material was immediately removed.
5. Drill Doctor DD350X Drill Bit Sharpener
- SHARPENS STANDARD DRILL BITS – from 3/32" to 1/2" standard twist bits. Ideal for shops that use the most common bit styles & is compatible for use with wood and light metals
- PROFESSIONAL DESIGN & CONSTRUCTED FOR DURABILITY - industrial-strength diamond sharpening wheel that won't change shape over time, & a cool design so bits don't heat up and lose their tempering as you sharpen them.6 foot power cord
- TWO EASY STEPS - eliminates the need for alignment port & simplifies the sharpening process, making the 350X a perfect choice for home workshops. Simply secure the bit & turn the chuck an even number of half turns to achieve a perfect 118° angle. V-block jaws hold the bit precisely in place & ensure that you don't have to worry about jaw twisting, even when working with small bits
- 3-YEAR WARRANTY - protects every Drill Doctor bit sharpener against defects due to workmanship or design
- MANUFACTURED IN OREGON - we design, engineer, & assemble our sharpening machines all under one roof in the USA. We are dedicated to creating quality tools with quality components & backing them with the best one-on-one customer support you'll ever get
From a 3/32″ standard to a 1/2 ” metric twist bit. Work well with wood and soft metals; recommended for establishments that have the most popular bit types.
Industrial diamond sharpening wheel that retains its form over time; low-heat operation prevents bits from overheating and warping as they are sharpened.
The 350X is ideal for garages and basements since its 6 foot power cable eliminates the need for an alignment port and streamlines the sharpening procedure. To get a precise 118° angle, just clamp the bit in place and crank the chuck an even number of half revolutions. When dealing with tiny bits, the V-block jaws will keep the bit securely in position and prevent the jaws from twisting.
- That’s a razor-sharp cut you’ve got there.
- There is no room for error in these directions.
- Functionally simple
- Rapid shipping
- Really need a metal chuck and casing.
6. Drill Doctor X2 Drill Bit and Knife Sharpener
- MULTI-FUNCTION SHARPENING STATION - Side-by-side sharpening stations and a dual speed motor allow you to quickly resharpen your drill bits or tools with ease
- INTERCHANGEABLE GUIDE SYSTEM - The revolutionary interchangeable guide system adapts to your angle needs for knives, scissors, axes, pocket knives, and more! Tool and Garden guide included FREE.
- WORK SHARP KNIFE & TOOL SHARPENING - The power of Work Sharp. Durable abrasive discs with angled guides allows powerful precision when sharpening kitchen, pocket knives, tools, and more
- RESHARPEN YOUR DULL AND BROKEN DRILL BITS – from 3/32-inch to 1/2-inch high-speed steel, masonry, cobalt, & TiN-coated drill bits. Resharpen your twist bits back to a sharp tip and get back to work in minutes.
- FOURTH GENERATION FAMILY OWNED IN OREGON, USA - All Drill Doctor products are backed by a 3-YEAR WARRANTY from defects due to workmanship or design.
SHARPENING STATION WITH DUAL SPEED MOTOR AND SIDE BY SIDE SHARPENING STATIONS – Re-sharpening drill bits and other equipment has never been easier!
INNOVATIVE SWITCHABLE GUIDE SYSTEM – Change the angle of your blades, shears, axes, pocketknives, and more! Free instruction manual and gardening tools.
The effectiveness of Work Sharp knife and tool sharpening. Sharpening knives, tools, and more is a breeze with these long-lasting abrasive discs and angled guides.
Renew the cutting edge on your dull or broken drill bits with our professional sharpening service. We can hone and repair drill bits made of high-speed steel, masonry, cobalt, and TiN. In a matter of minutes, you can hone the dull point back onto your twist pieces and go back to work.
- Old drills may be easily honed.
- Superior in every way
- A simple setup process was involved.
- Identifying the appropriate amount of force required may be tricky.
7. Grizzly G1081 Drill Length Sharpener
- Grinds and sharpens 1/8" - 3/4" bits
- Package dimensions: 8" x 5" x 1.34"
- Approximate weight: 1.34 lbs
Versatility in function is one of the most notable performance features of this high precision drill bit sharpener. The sharpener delivers smooth performance, grinding and sharpening 1/8 inch to 3/4 inch bits. Whether you are a dyed in the wool tinkerer or you just started indulging your DIY fancy, you will find this drill a welcome addition to your workshop toolbox collection.
The sharpener is shipped in a frustration-free packaging and will take minutes to set it up and get it ready for work. For as long as you own it and carry regular maintenance and replacement of wearable parts, there is no reason why you should have to worry about the durability or performance of this drill bit sharpener.
8. Multi-Sharp 2001 Drill Bit Sharpener
- Resharpens the following bits: HSS, masonry, SDS-plus, brad-point: 3-13 mm diameter
- Grinding jig accurately sharpens tip/relief angles - 118 degree - 135 degree. Extends drill bit life for years
- Replaceable aluminium oxide (2002) and silicon carbide (2003) grinding wheels available
- Also re-edges and resharpens small tools, including carbide-tipped
- Fits any power drill
For precise drilling and extended bit life, use the Multi-Sharp Drill Bit Sharpener, which can be powered by any drill. Small tools, even those with carbide tips, may be re-edged and re-sharpened with the help of this attachment. You may save money by just sharpening current tools instead of buying new ones.
The precision angle jig can precisely sharpen angles of 90, 118, and 132 degrees on the tip and the relief. The life of your drill bits will be greatly increased by using this sharpener, and your productivity will increase as a result. This tool’s versatility plus the fact that you can buy replacement grinding wheels make it an essential item for any workshop or garden.
- Economically viable
- For the cost, it does a decent job.
- Minimal in size and complexity
- The manual is poorly illustrated and provides inadequate instructions for setting up and using the product.
- As the Spade drill bit attachment was larger than the space between the wheels, it snapped off during the first effort to secure it to the main body. Unfortunately, the instructions for the purchase are unclear.
9. Tormek DBS-22 Drill Bit sharpening system Jig Attachment for T-7 System
- 🔨You will receive ：2 x Corundum Drill Bit Sharpener, 4x Brown Corundum Grinding Wheel Replacement, 2 x Wrench. Give your old blunt drill bits a second life with this quick and easy drill bit sharpener..save time and save money.
- 🔨High-quality Material ：bit sharpener made of high-quality ABS plastic and brown corundum grinding wheel, High hardness, rustproof, solid and durable,self-centering point, do not need assistant center drilling or center punching.
- 🔨Wide application：The drill bit sharpener is made of a standard hexagonal shank, which is widely applicable. The hexagonal shank has a 6.35mm (1/4) shank diameter on the opposite side. It is suitable for 2~15mm drills. It is suitable for manual and pneumatic screwdrivers.
- 🔨Easy to carry：Portable tools that you can carry around and don't take up space in your backpack.mainly used for grinding iron drills, other high hardness drills are not suitable, the loss will be relatively large
- 🔨Easy Reliable and Efficient：Compact and portable drill grinding tool, Use this drill bit sharpening tool with your power drill to keep bits sharp and ready for use.
This drill bit sharpening is a simple and fast way to get more use out of your old, dull drill bits, saving you both time and money.
Bit sharpener with a brown corundum grinding wheel and high-quality ABS plastic, Self-centering point eliminates the requirement for center drilling or punching, and the material is very sturdy and resistant to corrosion.
Because of its universal hexagonal shank, this drill bit sharpener may be used with a broad variety of bits. The opposing side of the hexagonal shank measures 6.35mm (1/4″). Drills of two 15mm sizes will fit it. It may be used with either manual or pneumatic screwdrivers.
Equipment that may be carried easily and does not need much room in a bag.
For grinding iron drills primarily; other high-hardness drills may cause excessive wear and grinding loss if utilized.
Small and lightweight drill bit grinder, Keep your drill bits in tip-top shape by using this handy sharpener alongside your electric drill.
10. General Tools Drill Grinding Attachment #825 – Drill Accessories
- EXTENDS THE LIFE OF DRILL BITS: Bring new life into used bits. This sturdy tool can quickly hone and sharpen large and small drill bits, returning them to factory accuracy. It's designed with a pivoting neck to sharpen both sides of the bit equally.
- ANGLE ADJUSTMENT: With adjustment features that cater to your needs, you can match the point angle of nearly any bit and work on countersinks. This handy drill bit sharpener for all bits supports standard angles of 88, 68, 59, 49, and 41 degrees.
- MACHINE TOOL ACCESSORIES: No more damaging your bits. The non-marking depth stop-cap is a safety feature that protects the material's surface. It's a must-have for your tool bench and easily attaches with a vice clamp for quick and accurate sharpening.
- PROFESSIONAL AND HOME WORKSTATION: This convenient and portable tool measures 4.91" L x 4.91" W x 7.38" H and is ideal for anyone who needs quick and precise grinding for construction, woodworking, and home improvement projects.
- GENERAL TOOLS: We have been a recognized leader in the innovation, design, and development of specialized precision tools for many years. We encourage craftspeople, artisans, and DIYers to work smarter, measure better, and increase productivity.
Refresh stale materials. This reliable device can swiftly restore both big and small drill bits to their original precision after being dulled or damaged. To ensure that both sides of the bit are equally sharp, it has a revolving neck.
You can work on countersinks and match the tip angle of practically any bit thanks to the tool’s adjustable features. This drill bit sharpener works with bits of 88, 68, 59, 49, and 41 degrees.
Put an end to the biting. The depth stop-cap leaves no marks on surfaces and is a safety feature. It’s a handy accessory for any workbench, since it can be attached to a vice clamp for fast and precise sharpening.
This compact and lightweight device is perfect for anybody doing carpentry, building, or home improvement work that requires rapid and accurate grinding. It measures 4.91″ by 4.91″ by 7.38″.
Over the course of many years, we have established ourselves as an industry frontrunner in the creation of cutting-edge, precision-engineered specialist tools. We advocate for improved methods of measuring, calculating, and working for the DIY community.
- Completed bits function as well as brand new ones.
- Indeed, it does what it sets out to do. Used over forty different grinding bits and the original wheel is still going strong.
- The initial setup is time-consuming, but well worth it if you’re sharpening a large number of bits at once.
Drill bits are one of the most important tools for any woodworker, so it’s essential to have them sharp. If you need a drill bit sharpener but don’t know which one is best for your needs or budget, this list can help you decide. We want to offer our readers some tips and guides on using the Top 10 Best Drill Bit Sharpener Reviews in 2023.
It’s always good to see other people’s experiences before making decisions about products that will be used heavily in their work day-to-day lives. Below are ten reviews are written by real customers who use these sharpeners every single day at their jobs as carpenters, finish carpentry installers, cabinetmakers, furniture makers…..
Visit our homepage to see more products: TOP 10 BEST REVIEWS